Friday, February 12, 2010

To cruise or not to cruise...


When I returned from France and was searching for a purpose in life, I applied to Disney Cruise Line. It was something I had thought about before in my different Disney adventures. It seemed like good timing, when I had no real relationships or commitments on the horizon. Now, months later, I just returned from a trip to Montreal for my interview with Disney Cruise Line. And today, I got a job offer.

Here is the dilemma: After all that work and waiting and expense to get this job, I'm not sure that I want it. Since I applied, I made some decisions about my future, and I'm not sure this fits anymore. In addition to that, I left the interview feeling very strange and even adverse to the possibility. It was like my entire outlook on this opportunity changed entirely in a matter of minutes.

So now I am weighing the pros and cons and exploring my options. Please share your wisdom and advice!! I am normally very set on what I want to do, and this time I just don't know...

First, let me explain my long-term plan. I want to go to grad school this fall to go into Education. I'm just finishing the applications, so I will not know for another couple of months if I am accepted. I want to start building an actual career, instead of bouncing between random jobs as I have done since college. And I want that career to make a difference in the world - even if that difference is only felt in my little classroom. So the solution I'm seeking now, is to make the most money possible up until I start school.

My current options are:
1. To work for Disney Cruise Line until I start grad school, or, in the case that I do not get into grad school, for an undetermined amount of time.
2. To stay and work in my Canadian hometown until I begin school in the fall...or figure out another option if I don't get into school.

So the way I see it, here are the arguments.
Disney Cruise Line
Pros:
  • No room and board to pay for my entire contract
  • Working in AC on the boat, but still get to enjoy the sunshine
  • Meet new people and friends from all over the world
  • Work for Disney again
  • Close to my Florida friends at the beginning and end of my contract
  • Transportation costs included
  • Park tickets and Disney discounts
  • 24-hour gym
  • Getting out of here!
  • Independence
  • Potential for future contracts during school breaks and over summer.
Cons:
  • Pay is only $346/week (which is $200 lower than I was originally told in my phone interview)
  • Regular work week is about 70 hours, so the overtime pay does not kick in until you work 70-94 hours.
  • No days off, which means no church, no temple, no special occasions, no vacations for up to six months
  • Little control over my diet
  • Limited phone/Internet access
  • Potential overlap of my contract dates with the dates to start school
  • No EFY
  • Itty bitty living space
Home
Pros:
  • Freedom to travel; visits to friends and family in the US, mountains/camping, etc this summer (which I haven't done in years)
  • Church every week, monthly temple attendance, potential YSA activities, etc.
  • Potential to be an EFY counselor this summer. I have wanted to do this since I was a participant in the program, but every year something came up. Since I'm 28, this is the last year I can do it (my interview is next week)
  • More time close to family
  • Earning potential of $11-$15/hour, plus overtime opportunities
  • Can leave anytime I need to for school or other options
  • Invest in a car I can take with me to school...?
  • Possibility of having my own space
Cons:
  • It's so dang cold!
  • Dependant on my parents for a vehicle and housing
  • Trying to find a short-term rental agreement, or living with my parents
  • If I get my own place I'd have to borrow or buy some furniture because all of mine stayed in Florida
  • Living expenses like rent, utilities, groceries, and gas money
  • Limited social outlets, few friends or even people my age

Help!! What do you think? I'm so torn! In a way, I feel like I have had plenty of adventures, and I want to start investing my time and energy into a real career. I feel like I've grown up a little, and I should stay close to my priorities: faith, family, and friends. Yet on the other hand, this is such a fun and interesting opportunity!

Either way, there will be sacrifices involved. I just want to make sure that I am giving up the right things in a worthwhile effort, and that I'm moving in the right direction. I know it's only a few months, but in my life, a few months can change everything...

3 comments:

Kara said...

That is a hard decision. Sounds like us, trying to figure out life.

Sometimes it seems like there's more than one 'right' option... So I guess whichever one you choose, make it work in a good way!

Good luck.
Maybe you should come live in Rexburg so we can see you.. :)

Kate & Omar Spilsbury said...

Very interesting dilemma. I don't know if you have ever been on a cruise and I am not sure what your specific job position would be, but cruise employees work SO hard. From what I was able to see, they don't get the opportunity to spend as much time out on shore as it may seem. I still think it would be a very cool opportunity. I actually looked into doing an internship in college on a cruise line for activities. When I went and worked in Alaska not knowing a soul, it was the hardest thing ever, but I grew so much. I however, was not able to really go to church but once every few months. That was before I went on my mission and before I was endowed. I don't know how/if being endowed would change my decision for Alaska now, but it really opened me up to become a different, less judgemental person. Being married now, I still want more adventures. I would maybe be leaning toward the cruise just becuase it wouldn't be forever, just a few months and then you can dig into a career. You won't get experiences like that again...maybe. Good luck with your decision.

Bethany said...

You probably already know what I'm going to say :)...trust your feelings. If you didn't feel good walking out of the interview, there's a reason. Of course it'd be fun to work on a cruise ship and of course they hired you, but it doesn't mean that's the path you should be on :) keep praying about it!