Sunday, August 2, 2009

2009: International Year of the Wedding

So many of my friends have gotten married this year. That's pretty normal. I am 27, so my remaining single peers are of prime marrying age. I also belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so marriage and family are high priorities, and sex happens only after marriage. Every spring brings a new round of wedding announcements. However this year has been especially interesting in the nuptial realm. Recently, so many of my good friends who have been through a lot of life, are a little older, and truly deserve the incredible joy of beginning forever with the love of their lives, are the ones getting married.

I think that is awesome.

These are people who have spent years alone, trying to be happy and productive, but never dating and wondering why. These are people who have struggled with their faith, their health, and family issues. Some have been previously engaged, survived devastating break-ups, and learned to trust and love again.

I know everyone has hard times and everyone deserves to be happy in spite of them. But it is especially gratifying, happy and faith-building to see really wonderful people finally find someone who sees just how wonderful they are, and wants to love them forever too. It's awesome to see so many friends with a little 'life experience,' find their 'other half' and be joined with them eternally. The only thing that would make it happier, would be being there with them, but at least I have the photos:)

Honestly, on my hardest days, when life doesn't make sense and I feel alone or unwanted, hearing about these sweet love stories and seeing the beautiful pictures reminds me of what I'm working towards. They give me hope that someday it might work out for me too! That's what all the waiting, working, hoping, hurting, healing, and taking chances are for. The possibility of forever. Finding your 'partner in crime,' 'soul mate,' 'best friend,' and 'cohort.' It's being complete.
I am not in a place in my life for this for happen for me now (literally, I live in France!), but I know it will happen someday, and it will be sooooo worth it! In the meantime, I share in the happiness of my well-deserving friends. Congratulations and lots of love to you all!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I love your positive attitude, Amy, and I love your hope! You are wonderful and I can't wait to meet the guy that will love and cherish you forever! You deserve that same happiness and you will get it!! Miss you, babe!

Amy said...

Love this post. :-)