Tuesday, December 21, 2010

For it is in giving that we receive. - St. Francis of Assisi

I love the Christmas season so much! I love the sparkling lights, the smells of pine trees and yummy food, singing Christmas carols and sacred music. I love the many excuses to play in the snow, socialize and eat :) More than anything, I love that everyone seems to pause to recognize this special time of year, even if they do not fully understand the event at it's origin.
What I don't love is Christmas present shopping. I am terrible at it! I really struggle with obligatory gifts like Christmas and birthdays. I am more the type to see something that makes me think of a person, and I just buy it - regardless of the occasion - because it meets a desire or need right then and there. Why must it only be at these designated occasions that we give?

I never know who exactly I am expected to buy for and I struggle to know what to get. Especially since I am currently a very broke grad student living off borrowed funds. And I really don't like generic gifts. I would rather receive nothing but a heartfelt note or warm hug than a random gift I do not want or need, simply because it is Christmas. I appreciate the gesture but it seems silly to me. I look at my gift giving the same way. If it is forced and superficial, it is meaningless.

And so I propose we look at giving a little differently. Instead of the random gift baskets, fruitcakes and ties, let us give our smiles, our listening ears, a warm embrace, an evening out, a clean home, a shoveled walk or a home-cooked me. Let us share the greatest give we can have in this life - the gospel of Jesus Christ. Let us celebrate his birth and the incredible gifts he gave us by giving of ourselves. And why must it only be at Christmas or birthdays? May we have eyes to recognize the opportunities to give, and hearts to open up and share of ourselves - not only at Christmas, but all year long!

No comments: