Thursday, June 24, 2010

Another 'Bachelor' bites the dust

Just heard that Jake and Vienna have broken up. Can you say, 'I told you so'?

That makes 13 failed relationships as a product of that ridiculous show. In fact the only actual marriage was with a runner-up... The similarly themed Bachelorette show is currently 2 for 5.

So what does this tell you about dating in the artificial reality created on these shows? That it DOES NOT WORK. It may be entertaining for the love-sick who like to sit at home and watch other people's fantasy lives instead of living their own, however it is a really sad way of messing with people's emotions on national television.

But hey, who am I to judge? Each of these people were consenting adults who willingly put their lives and emotions on the televised chopping block. Maybe they are the desperate ones, unwilling to work and wait for love like the rest of us. At least they each got their 5 minutes of fame, though I can't say I want the reputations they have earned themselves with millions of people who don't even know them.

As for this most recent failure, I'm not so sure that Jake is the Captain Amazing we thought him to be at the start. Doesn't take long for the true colors to show, huh?

Pretty sure that when Jake said things like:
"I have a successful life, and live in a nice home, but it means nothing if I can't share it with someone."
What he really meant was:
"I just wanna get some. A lot actually. With lots of women who look like supermodels and are constantly throwing themselves at me. Yep."

Then he tried to pull the wool over our eyes with sweet stuff most guys would never say, like:
"I'm not looking for the most beautiful girl. I'm looking for the most beautiful heart."
and
"Love is perfect, it endures."
Gag me. How did we let his excessive sentimentality fool us? Maybe he should go into showbiz. Looks like he has a knack for acting.

How about this one:
"Nice guys don't finish last. Nice guys just have to wait a little longer sometimes."
Well Jake, time to prove you really are a nice guy and look for love the old-fashioned way, just like everyone else.

Oh this show just makes me sad! Yet at the same time, I am so grateful that I can be happily single and hopeful for real love and friendship in the future. I don't have to join a competition to get a husband, nor do I have to sit at home watching some melodramatic show and dreaming about Mr.Right. I can just live! And I know he'll show up eventually :)

No comments: