Sunday, November 28, 2010

Another day, another engagement

I have a love-hate relationship with facebook. Some days it brings me so much joy to communicate with and celebrate the good news of friends.  But sometimes I find out things that break my heart, or just distract and depress me.

And nearly every day, there is another status change, or "We're getting married" group. My reactions to these vary. Sometimes it's a "Good for them!" or "Cute!!" or "So happy!"
Other times I think, "There really is someone for everyone..."

But every once in a while the dreary thought that drags across my mind is, "He/she has found someone to love them for forever, what's wrong with me?!?" What does it feel like to actually have a ring on your finger and know you are going to be with this person forever? You have chosen him and he has chosen you. Although I have come close in a few relationships, and I've been ready more than once, I've never felt that mutual affirmation of an official engagement. And sometimes I wonder if I ever will.

I know that's not healthy. I know the Lord has a plan for me, and He keeps telling me that it includes marriage and motherhood, but sometimes it's just hard to remember that.

Someday my relationship status will change and I'll get to make my own address collection! In the meantime, I'm getting a lot of practice writing the word "congratulations" in all sorts of languages:)

3 comments:

Kara said...

life is crazy, huh? you never know what will happen...

I agree with you on the facebook thing. Sometimes I miss real life communication so much...but on the other hand, I guess I should be grateful for a way to keep in touch with people, instead of not..

also, you are awesome. when is the next time we will see You in real life???

McGuire's said...

He's out there!!! You'll find him or he'll find you. You are so good at being patient. I loved your "simply grateful" post, thanks for the reminder on being grateful for the many blessings we have. Emily

Adam and Andrea Daveline said...

Love you! Mother's Day was always my least favorite day for quite a few years. God does have a plan, sometimes I wish He'd just give me a quick peek;-)