Monday, October 25, 2010

Isn't it ironic? Don't ya think?

"It's like meeting the man of your dreams
 then meeting his beautiful wife."

Remember a few months back when I wrote about a little crush I had on a certain semi-celebrity? (refresh your memory here) Well, I am still somewhat dazed by the whole thing, but a few weeks ago, I ran into him. Turns out we have some common friends. Not even kidding!!!

I walked into my friends very crowded apartment, and found myself face to face with this amazing guy. And yes, he is just as attractive in person. As soon as I realized it was him, I had a little inner freak-out and thought, "This is it! I'm meeting him! It might actually happen!"

Then, in the 30 seconds that followed, I noticed the thrilled commotion of my friend with a girl nearby, put all the pieces together, and came back down to reality. The beautiful girl with the huge diamond engagement ring, was this man's fiancee, and they were getting married 2 weeks later.

Fortunately, I did nothing to embarrass myself. I figured it all out on my own and kept all my instantaneous excitement and disappointment to myself. But a little part of me was crying.

It wasn't so much that I would cry over this random stranger, but rather what he represented for me. See, even though I had never met him before, he gave me hope. Hope that intelligent, righteous, good-looking single men close to my age still exist out there, and I might possibly find one who'll want to keep me. And in the moment I met him and then learned of his impending wedding, I felt like that hope faded a little. Strange, I know.

One the bright side, he found his forever! And she is around my age, a returned missionary and a redhead... go figure! I actually got to attend their wedding reception with our mutual friend. Yep, weird again. And yet, it was so fun and happy!! Seeing them together renewed my hope. They are two mature, good, beautiful people who have each been through their own trials of patience and plenty of heartache along the way. And they made it to the next step!

So yes, there is still hope for me. Just not sure when or how I will ever find it! I guess that's where faith steps in.

"Isn't it ironic...? Life has a funny way of helping you out..."

No comments: