Saturday, March 28, 2009

Random thoughts on yoga, kids, and manly men.

*I bought a yoga mat today. I have officially converted to yoga, though I still do other work-outs too. This transition began with the fitness channel and morning yoga with Bethany. But I was scared off by a hardcore asian dude who was way too bendy. However my yoga-ness has been fortified recently thanks to the great Bob Harper - no relation:)
In my little shoebox apartment, I have just enough room for an on-the-spot work-out. Thanks to the genius people who created the Biggest Loser, I have 2 dvds that kick my trash and help me melt off the pastries - all within the constraints of my little french haven. And the best part is that Bob Harper is so good at what he does, that I really do feel like he is talking to me, and encouraging me through the work-outs. Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it! I have already noticed improvements in my flexibility, core strength, and balance with each time I do the yoga dvd. Between all the standing at work and walking in between, yoga is saving my back! Thank heaven for yoga, and Bob Harper. Love that man.

*I love kids! I love the simplicity of their joys and the innocence of their little worlds. And I love the genius things they come up with. We don't give kids enough credit. The other day, a little boy walked right up to the reception with his dad and stood on his tip toes, peeking over the counter while I checked them in. He introduced himself to me, told me about family, and even invited me to his birthday party. His name was Lenny. A stellar young man of 7 years.
Later that day, a father sat his son on the counter. The little boy instantly started talking to me, "Bonjour, ca va?" He was so sweet and confident! When I asked how old he was, he said, "2 and a half" and showed me the half with squinty eys behind his pinched thumb and forefinger. I said, "2 and a half? So almost 3 huh?" "Buh, oauh!" Which would be the english equivalent of "Yeah, of course!" Such a wit! And sooo cute!
I have similar experiences every week at church. Like the 6 yr old twins I knew before, but of course don't remember me. One of them was like, "Marie is scared of you but I'm not. Aunty knows you so it's no big deal. I'm not scared!"
The best part is that all of this took place in French. Kids are even more adorable in a foreign language. Another of my favorite things at work:)

The other things I love to watch at church are the parents. They are such wonderful people, and work so hard to teach their children what's right. They are so full of love, yet so strong! I want to be that kind of parent. I want a husband as supportive and wonderful as those men.

*And on that note, I have gained a new appreciation for manly men while living in France. Like, the kind of men that lift weights and play sports involving more than just your legs. Men who could actually defend you if necessary, instead of the other way around. Men who recognize and find fulfillment in their responsibilities as leaders, providers, and protectors without disrepecting or controlling the women in their lives. I know a lot of really awesome, manly men. They are inspiring. I hope and pray I will be worthy to marry one someday.

3 comments:

Kjersti said...

You already are worthy to marry one! Now, we just got to find one worthy of you!

Tyler said...

I like that you are still a true north American and real sports are played by using more that just your legs.

Hannah said...

Your blog is black. Your writing is green. You are awesome. And worthy. :)