Thursday, December 4, 2008

Just getting started!

I figured Recovering Charles deserved a post of its own, since it got the ball rolling, but now I get to tell you about the other fun things I've been reading. Oh yes, I'm officially literate again.

My next book was another one by Jason Wright called The Wednesday Letters. It is an intriguing story about 3 grown children who come together for their parents' funeral. In the process of saying goodbye, they discover all sorts of family secrets in a collection of letters their dad wrote to their mom every Wednesday of their whole marriage. It may sound simple, but it's got plenty of exciting twists. And isn't that such an adorable thought? I would love an honest letter from my husband on a weekly basis. What a way to document the ups and downs of a marriage! I suppose I'll have to secure a man before I try to push that idea... Anyway, it is another great book. I just love the author's writing style! And in true Jason Wright fashion, this book also comes with a surpirse ending. (Well, I suppose I've only read 2 of his books so I can't really say that's his style, but they both surprised me.)http://www.thewednesdayletters.com/

Sadly my copy of Christmas Jars, Jason's other book, is back in Florida, so I will have to wait a few weeks. Since I've run out of my new favorite author, I took a couple weeks off.

Then I saw the movie City of Ember. I hadn't heard much about it, but it was playing at my dad's movie theatre so we watched it one night. (With only my parents and little bro, and for free. Perks, my friends.)

It had a very intriguing story line about a city in the future that was built underground to preserve the human race from an impending disaster. I left the theatre with so many questions. So I bought the book by Jeanne DuPrau - and discovered that there are three more in the series! Then I hit another milestone. I finished The City of Ember in less than a week; 5 DAYS! Granted, I do have a little more time on my hands now, but I still am rarely on my own with nothing to do. I made an effort to read! It was a great book and now I'm more than halfway through the second book, The People of Sparks. Every explanation I find leads to more questions. I can't wait to read the remaining books: The Prophet of Yonwood and The Diamond of Darkhold.


These books are classified as teenaged fiction, but I love them. Probably because they leave out the smut and profanity of most adult novels. And they make you think.

There is so much chaos and commotion in our world today. There is so much anger, selfishness, greed, and betrayal. Yet in the midst of all that madness, it only takes one person to stand up for good and be a light and hope for humanity. We each have a light within helping us to recognize good and choose the right. Everyday we have choices to make. If we stand firm and feed the good within us, the light will grow. Before long, it will begin to spread to those we love, those we serve, and soon the light will touch everyone we meet! But if we choose the lesser path even once, we begin to let the darkness in. It will quickly take over, snuffing out the light, spreading deceit, anxiety and pain. I wish somehow we could all see past our differences and simply live our lives. We've only got right now. Use that time to build up not tear down. We can learn so much from one another!

Ok that's my rant for the day: Go do something good for the world... and read a book. It all begins with one.

No comments: